These pictures are astonishing.
Sheriff’s deputies shot nearly 50 wild animals – including 18 rare Bengal tigers and 17 lions – in a big-game hunt across the Ohio countryside Wednesday after the owner of an exotic-animal park threw their cages open and committed suicide in what appeared to be one last act of spite against his neighbors and police.
As homeowners nervously hid indoors, officers equipped with high-powered rifles and shoot-to-kill orders spread out through fields and woods to hunt down about 56 animals that had been set loose from the Muskingum County Animal Farm by its owner, Terry Thompson, before he shot himself to death Tuesday.
After an all-night hunt that extended into Wednesday afternoon, 48 animals had been killed and six captured alive and taken to the Columbus Zoo, authorities said. The only animals believed still on the loose were a wolf and a monkey.
Holy shit. This is so absolutely disgusting. First the animals suffer by being held captive all their lives and being someone’s sick source of entertainment, and now they’re brutally killed because of something that a person did? My intense hatred towards people only seems to amplify every day.
I read this morning they decided to shoot the animals because when they’re tranquilized they find some place safe to sleep and police didn’t want to deal with running around and finding them. Furthermore, some animals can get aggressive after being shot with a tranquilizer, so they didn’t want to deal with that either.
I actually agree with what Glenn Hurowitz wrote:
Police too often respond to one complaint with a hail of bullets - even when it’s native wildlife like black bears, wolves or mountain lions. This is especially true in areas where predators were exterminated decades past, but are now migrating in from other areas. The reality is most citizens want police to protect wildlife - but police too often respond to one complaint - or one informational call - with a paranoid response. They forget that we live in a landscape of wild animals and the fact that we live in a country that still has wild animals is one of the things that makes our country great. Police west of the Mississippi know that it’s cougar country, and it’s not that big a deal if someone spots one (unfortunately, some states still exhibit anti-wolf hatred).
Even when it comes to exotics, the reality is that this kind of slaughter is unnecessary - a little patience and the occasional tranquilizer gun can usually get animals back together. Lethal measures should only be used as a last resort - and especially in cases like this, where police are dealing with highly endangered animals like tigers (3,000 left in the wild) and lions (just 23,000). We need to do everything we can to keep these animals alive and reintroduce them into the wild where possible to bolster wild populations.Of course, the real problem here is unregulated and often cruel private menageries of the type involved here.
P.S. Jack Hanna is a clown and I don’t understand why anyone takes him seriously as an “animal expert.” I don’t know a single conservationist who agrees with him or any of his methods. See my archive for all of my Jack Hanna criticisms.
- hellohowartthou reblogged this from fib
- agentjr7 reblogged this from deviantfox
- patriciarghh reblogged this from fib
- holascholas likes this
- deviantfox likes this
- fib reblogged this from fuckyeahanimalwelfare and added:
- fib likes this
- somestuffofinterest reblogged this from thescienceofreality
- fagenablr reblogged this from hargdevice
- elisiaismynameo reblogged this from badassmcg
- mental-cage reblogged this from badassmcg
- spunkykidd reblogged this from apathydeception
- apathydeception reblogged this from a-s-h-renee and added:
- fozziebearman reblogged this from badassmcg
- badassmcg reblogged this from a-s-h-renee
- ptracydactyl likes this
- a-s-h-renee reblogged this from rebel-with-a-causee and added:
- hello-imthedoctor-basically-run reblogged this from crystal-cat-loves-ac
- sarcoughagis reblogged this from rojerk
- rojerk reblogged this from rojerk and added:
- afro--thunder reblogged this from fuckyeahfy
- leodecapforpresident likes this
- fuckyeahfy reblogged this from crystal-cat-loves-ac
- wildglitterthing reblogged this from kangaroosplaycellos
- crystal-cat-loves-ac reblogged this from foreverrrsmiling and added:
- platoshamob reblogged this from postcyber
- themurderhouse reblogged this from notscared-notprepared
- amandy-hughes reblogged this from hargdevice
- timequeen reblogged this from ostealjewelry
- mascul reblogged this from hargdevice
- molilouise likes this
- sinklikeships reblogged this from kloblow
- kloblow reblogged this from yblig and added:
- yblig reblogged this from danacama
- saydjeny reblogged this from rorschachx
- loreen-allen reblogged this from meowrox
- idell-arnold reblogged this from hargdevice
- jobs-in-nashville-tn reblogged this from hargdevice
- burritos-and-bitches reblogged this from anditslove
- classylikekate reblogged this from fawning- and added:
- catperv reblogged this from hargdevice
- deathshows reblogged this from hargdevice
- joviamusic reblogged this from balladofarealblackgirl
- tjasonham reblogged this from androphilia
- liddocindy reblogged this from foreverrrsmiling
- hargdevice posted this